June 1, 2009

Big Wheels Keep on Turnin' : Calabash 09

Calabash 09
Thirty years ago, I left Jamaica with a promise. Although I had only published one poem in The Daily Gleaner and a short story in the Creative Arts Review, I listed my profession as “writer” on the immigration form. Since then, I’ve published nine books of poetry and fiction which have met with mixed reviews in Jamaica and the Caribbean. So when I was invited by the organizers of the 2009 Calabash International Literary Festival in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica, I was filled with the exhilaration of fulfilling a promise.


This is not to say that I had not read in Jamaica before. I had. But it was never on this scale. And the last time I read at Jamaica College, I was cursed out by a member in the audience for using “bad words.” I tried to explain that whenever I use “bad words” in a story, it is never gratuitous and it is usually a signal that a character in under extreme duress. The person didn’t want to hear any of it and she demanded an apology for “the sake of the children” in the audience. I hadn’t seen any children, but then, I was excited about reading at my alma mater, so for “the sake of the children,” I apologized. But it left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth.


Needless to say, however, when I received the official letter from the organizers that I would be a part of one of the most exciting literary festivals in the world, I was thrilled. And that it was happening in Jamaica where some people still behave as if I don’t exist, we’re now talking about ecstatic. Yes, I know, I know, according to Covey we should only focus on those things over which we have control. Still, it felt good.


It was even better that my wife, Nadia, was coming with me. And from the minute she and I settled into our seats on Air Jamaica, we sensed that big changes were on the way. As we thumbed through Skywritings, the in-flight magazine of our national carrier, on page 12 alongside other participants in Calabash such as Junot Diaz, Staceyann Chin, Joseph Boyden, and Selwyn Cudjoe, was my photograph and a brief caption. I had done the interview and sent the journalist all the material she had requested, but I never expected to be included in the magazine. When you’ve been writing for as long as I have, you learn to develop a thick skin and expect rejection as part of the journey. But there I was. I put a copy in my bag and as we were leaving, my wife picked up a few extra copies for her mother and our children.


As soon as we disembarked, we were ushered through customs by a member of the Jamaica Tourist Board. He introduced to our driver and our fellow passenger, Stephanie Black, who made the three hour drive to Treasure Beach seem like thirty minutes as I asked and she answered questions about her film, Life and Debt. We also struck up a conversation about Jamaica Kincaid, a writer whose work we have been following for a very long time, and discussed the new direction her work seems to be taking.


Once we arrived at the Treasure Beach Hotel, we unpacked everything, took a short nap, and then we were whisked away to Jake’s, where I made it a point of duty to thank Robert Pinsky for allowing me to use a quotation from his translation of The Inferno in my novel, Benjamin, my son. We talked briefly until Justine Henzell announced that our meal was ready. My wife and I chose one of the more secluded tables at Jake’s, but to our surprise, we were soon joined by the Hon. Edward Seaga, Anthony Winkler and their respective families.


If someone had told me thirty years ago that in the future I would have broken bread with Mr. Seaga and a few years earlier with the Hon. Michael Manley, I would have asked them if they had been partaking of Jamaica’s unofficial national plant. But then, politicians come and go. I was more keen on talking with, Anthony Winkler, the author of one of my favorite novels, The Duppy.


I floated through the rest of the evening as I met other writers whose work I respected and I was surprised that some of them had read and admired my work. Slowly, I began to feel myself as a part of that stellar group of writers who had been invited to the festival.


Later that night, as my wife and I walked along the beach gazing at the galaxies of star and listening to the clamor of the Caribbean Sea resounding off the seawalls, I could feel some of the self-doubt that has plagued me for so much of my career rising off my shoulders, drifting over sand, and disappearing into the surf.


And that was just the first day.




***

Wednesday, June 3, 2009: Big Wheels Keep on Turnin' : Calabash 09 (Part 2)

***

This post has been included in Middle Zone Musings: What I Learned from a Mountaintop Experience.


22 comments:

Rockaway Girl said...

Hi,been reading awhile but this my first time commenting. That was a beautiful blog about your "Calabash" experience. You had me smiling about your write up in the "SkyWritings" magazine...You seemed genuinely surprised. You are an excellent writer and you should believe that everyday! Forget what some people in JA might think, it's what you think that truly matters. Hopefully all those doubts has washed far, far, very far out to sea when you and your wife were walking the beach that night. Excellent post!

Geoffrey Philp said...

Give thanks, Rockaway Girl!

For the most part, I've continued to write despite the naysayers. Since I've reached fifty,and started a kind of summation, it's easy to get annoyed by things like that.
However, I continue and the back and forths of this summation will be in my next book of poems, DUB WISE.

Again, thank you. Because a little encouragement sometimes goes a long way...
1Love,
Geoffrey

Kathy Stanley said...

Aaahhhh, you have me anxious to hear more - so wonderful to get the sense of a welcoming first day for you. For all you do in inspiring us out there, much respect is due! ...looking forward to the rest of it.

Stephen A. Bess said...

Geoffrey, this is a great story of your experience at Calabash! It's your time. You've given so much of your attention and advice to others. This was a testimony given to me by Colin Channer when I mentioned your name to him at a book signing a few years ago. I was not surprised when he told me that. I said to myself that God will truly bless him.

Now, it's your time to reap and be recognized as the great writer you are. This has been my prayer for you to the Father and He is faithful. I'm sure that my prayer was one out of many. Peace~

Geoffrey Philp said...

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for the blessings. I accept with a full heart.

1Love,
Geoffrey

Geoffrey Philp said...

Labrish, to tell you, the whole trip was Irie.
I've come back with so much. More than I thought was possible.

1Heart,
Geoffrey

Anonymous said...

This is a heartwarming post and as a fledgling writer it gives me hope. I want to make it to Calabash next year to maybe tread among a few writers like yourself.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Bakannal, I hope you do make it.

Peace,
Geoffrey

ESTEBAN AGOSTO REID said...

Hey Geoffrey, I am extremely happy for you!! Copious blessings!!

Geoffrey Philp said...

Give thanks, Esteban.

Bless up,
Geoffrey

susan said...

Geoffrey,
I've thought of you as an established, real writer since first reading your blog. You're the real deal. Still, I can imagine how you felt and I am very glad you feel differently now.

Maybe now is a good time to share that I read you because you inspire me and I respect your talent and knowledge.

Much love,
Susan

GirlGriot said...

Geoffrey, it sounds as though your Treasure Beach trip was all that and more! There are a couple of nice photos of you up on the TB website now. I'm so glad the festival gave you so much. Like "bakannal," it is a dream of mine to one day make it to Calabash, and your experience reaffirms my faith that the trip would be nourishing on many levels.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Susan, despite the awards and honors I've won in the States, I feel a special attachment to Jamaica and the people.

The strange thing is I feel more confident giving readings outside of Jamaica than I do in Jamaica.

Peace,
Geoffrey

Geoffrey Philp said...

Griot Girl, the world is big enough for all of us.

1Love,
Geoffrey

FSJL said...

Jamaica's unofficial national plant? That would be cerassee?

I'd say you gone clear, Geoffrey. Congratulations. You've done a wonderful job, written good stuff, and you're in the proper company, except that raas Blindaga.

Geoffrey Philp said...

My wife says I behaved myself quite well.

FSJL said...

Well, you were outside of Jamaica, after all. You were in St Elizabeth.

Sincerely,
St Bess Man.

Geoffrey Philp said...

True words!

Look for tomorrow's post on that.

Peace,
Geoffrey

Doret said...

Congrats on a wonderful return home.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Give thanks, Doret.
Settling back into the routine isn't easy.

Peace,
Geoffrey

Marcia Mayne said...

Geoffrey, it was fabulous finally meet you in person. (Of course, a feel like a know you long time, man, since we share a love of all things Winkler!)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Calabash -- it is a fabulous likkle festival in a fabulous likkle corner of Jamaica.
I know what you mean about reading at home. It's like reading for relatives, no true? They are the first to find fault!
But glad you and your wife enjoyed yourselves. That's what it's all about! And don't feel no way about the extra Skywritings, they have many more!
Likkle more, Marcia

Geoffrey Philp said...

It was great to meet you too! Too bad, we couldn't have spent more time at Pelican Bay with a cold Red Stripe!

1Love,
Geoffrey