June 14, 2009

Growing Up With or Without Dad

Who's Your Daddy?How do our fathers' absence or presence shape our lives?

This is the question that I've thought about in my fictions--the role of fathers or surrogates in the lives of boys: Benjamin, my son, Uncle Obadiah and the Alien, Grandpa Sydney's Anancy Stories, and most recently, Who’s Your Daddy?:And Other Stories.

There have been many books written about the issue of fatherless boys in the Caribbean, but the one that has most influenced my writing on this subject is Edith Clarke's, My Mother Who Fathered Me.

Sadly, the topic is still relevant. So, between today and Father's Day, I will be offering an autographed copy of Who's Your Daddy?: And Other Stories for the winning post on either one of these topics:

Growing Up With Dad

Growing Up Without Dad


The winner will be selected at random, but take a moment to read the contest rules to learn more. Plus, you gotta be older than 18, to enter. Some of the stories in Who's Your Daddy?: And Other Stories deal with "mature" subjects and I don't want to be accused of "corrupting the youth."

For Bloggers:

Write a short post (maximum 1000 words) on one of these topics:

Growing up with Dad

Growing up Without Dad.



Link to this post and leave a comment on this blog with your url, so I’ll know that you’ve entered.


For Readers Who Do Not Blog:

Write a short post (maximum 1000 words) on the topic:


Growing up with Dad

Growing up Without Dad.



Send the post to me in the body of an e-mail (geoffreyphilp101 at gmail.com) with either topic in the subject line:

Growing up with Dad

Growing up Without Dad.


Please include a digital photo (.jpg).


Good luck to all!

***



No comments: