April 28, 2010

Five Questions With...Joan Cartwright




1. Where were you born? Describe your current family life.

Born in Kew Gardens, NY. My mom is deceased. My dad is 90 and living in West Palm Beach, where my brother lives, too. My son lives in the Bronx, NY, with his wife and 2 daughters, and my daughter lives in Atlanta, where her 3 children live too. I live in single bliss in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

2. What do you do for a living? Why did you choose this vocation?

I am a jazz/blues singer, composer, performer, author, and educator.

I was born to sing! I'm the founder of Women in Jazz South Florida, Inc.


3. Who are your three favorite writers?

Houston Baker, Angela Davis, and Tammy Kernodle.


4. What was the first book you fell in love with and how have your reading habits changed over the years?

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

5. What are you reading now?
The Parable of the Pipeline by Burke Hedges.


(Optional)
6. What makes you laugh?

Good friends like you. Men who think they can rule me and children who think being disrespectful is cute. LOL, stop your movie!

7. What are your other passions?

Music, social networking, my Internet radio show MUSICWOMAN and my websites: www.joancartwright.com, www.fyicomminc.com, www.wijsf.org, that I design and maintain.


Joan Cartwright has toured 5 continents and 15 countries including U.S.A., eight European countries, Brazil, Mexico, Ghana, Gambia, South Africa, China, and Japan, with her swinging brand of jazz and blues. She is one of the few women in the world with a Jazz/Blues song book. Her memoir, IN PURSUIT OF A MELODY, contains 40 songs and lyrics to standard songs: "A Night in Tunisia" by Dizzy Gillespie"Blue Bossa" by Kenny Dorham, "Tune Up" by Miles Davis and "Bessie's Blues" by John Coltrane. 

Joan has published two lectures that she's given to thousands of children and adults in the U.S., Switzerland, Sicily, China, and Japan: 
AMAZING MUSICWOMEN and SO, YOU WANT TO BE A SINGER? Her workshops, dynamic and educational, highlight the pitfalls and benefits of the music business. Joan contends: "Knowing music theory is a step in the right direction for any singer who truly wants to excel in the world of music!"


***


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: