April 28, 2007

A New Blog in Town: Seawoman's Writing Opps

When I started this blog in December 2005, I barely knew what a blog was, so I called it the only thing that seemed logical, Geoffrey Philp's Blog Spot. Since then, the blog has grown and remained true to its mission: To promote my work and the work of South Florida and Caribbean writers.

You see, I've never seen either my writing or this blog as being just about me. If the light shines on me, then I've always felt that the light should be shared. This has been the result of a many factors, including Rastafari and the cultural inhibition among many Jamaicans to keep things quiet. There's a great Tony Winkler story about this inhibition and I can't remember the name nor can I find the book, The Annihilation of Fish. I think I may have given it away. BTW, if you are looking for a great Caribbean writer (modesty prevents me from naming others) check out Tony Winkler's work. You will not be disappointed.

But I digress. There's a great new blog in town published by Sandra Sealy, and it's called Seawoman's Writing Opps.

Sandra is doing full-time what I have done intermittently--providing news about publication opportunities for Caribbean writers. Many of my readers have assumed that because I have published about seven books and that I've been in a few anthologies that I must know a lot about publishing and publishing opportunities. I've had to confess many times that I know very little about the business side and I've only worked with one agent, Janell Agyeman of Marie Brown Associates, for the past fifteen years.

So I'm really happy about Seawoman's Writing Opps. Sandra has a great site with links to publishers and literary and cultural festivals and a whole lot more. If you are interested in Caribbean writing, go over to her site and check her out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Geoffrey! Reciprocated under my HOT LINKS.
Peace,
Seawoman