Fiction: Novel, Novella, or Short Story Collection
Nonfiction: Autobiography, Memoir, Biography, History, Social Issues,
Poetry: Books In Verse, Prose Poetry, Formal Verse, Experimental Verse
- Writers must be of African descent; Black writers from any area of the diaspora.
- Full-length books of poetry, fiction and nonfiction, collections of short stories, and
collections of essays by one author are eligible.
- Paperback originals are eligible.
- Works must have been published in the
United Statesor must be U.S.
editions of foreign books published for the first time in the
. United States
- Self-published authors are eligible.
- An English translation of a book originally written in another language is eligible.
- All books submitted for consideration must have a publication date between
January and December of the calendar year in which the application is being submitted. Bound galleys may be submitted.
- Anthologies containing works written by multiple authors are not eligible.
- Poetry books fewer than 50 pages are not eligible.
- A reprint of a book published in a previous year is not eligible.
- Board members and staff of the Hurston/Wright Foundation are not eligible for
consideration of this award.
- No entry will be ineligible because its author has previously won the
Hurston/Wright Legacy Award, or any other award.
Submission RequirementsBooks must be submitted by the publishing companies only.
For full consideration, however, permission of the author must be granted.
The author of a Legacy nominated book or a representative is expected to attend the ceremony.
Each publishing company will be required to designate one person to coordinate all Hurston/Wright Legacy Award related matters with the Foundation.
The Hurston/Wright Foundation reserves the right to request that publishers submit specific titles to be considered for nomination.
All submissions must be received by November 15, 2006.
How to ApplyGet your application online at www.hurstonwright.org or request an application and brochure be mailed to you.
Mail your application to:
The Hurston/Wright Foundation Legacy Award
Road, Suite 531
Books not accompanied by the proper documentation will not be considered.
Black Literary Awards, Hurston/Wright Legacy Award, Literary awards, Literary prizes
Post a Comment