April 4, 2013

Reading for the Children



How do you respect yourself? Your family? Friends? Teachers? Classmates?

Those were just a few of the questions that I asked the children at the North Lauderdale Saraniero Branch Library when I read for them during Black History Month.





I read from Marcus and the Amazons, which combines the values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Marcus Garvey into a fable about an ant who must rescue his colony from an invading army. It was a pleasure to read for the children and pass along a little of the wisdom that I have learned from my heroes.




Give thanks to Melody Chait, Youth Services Supervisor, who invited me to read for the children. I'm looking forward to another reading in June during Caribbean History Month.



***


The Coalition for the Exoneration of Marcus Garvey is petitioning Frederica Wilson, Congressional Representative and the Congress of the United States of America for the exoneration of Marcus Garvey:

http://www.causes.com/actions/1722148-urge-congress-to-exonerate-civil-rights-leader-marcus-garvey

We are also petitioning President Barack Obama to exonerate Marcus Garvey:

http://signon.org/sign/exonerate-marcus-garvey?source=c.url&r_by=4631897

Thank you for your support.

No comments: