May 6, 2011

One Bright Morning




One bright morning they’ll lower my body into the earth.
& from my bones a sturdy bougainvillea will flower
with bright thorns to blind those who'd harm my sisters,
necklace them with fears about their worth,
but even in Ginen, my name will provide shelter.

One bright morning they’ll lower my body into the earth,
& I will release the pain in my bones since birth,
return to the light from which I now whisper:
“Don’t cry. I am at peace, my brothers.
One bright morning they’ll lower my body into the earth.

***

Image: Ian Gage
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Nicola Rickards Karesh said...

I love the feeling of a beautiful bougainvillea being birthed from my bones! Lovely feeling of the circle of life. Thank you!

Geoffrey Philp said...

Give thanks, Nicola. Yes the circle of life indeed