Support Judge William Thomas: Call Senator Bill Nelson
Please support Judge William Thomas. We really need you, your family and friends to call Senator Nelson and Senator Rubio's office this week. Your approach can be as simple as one of the following statements:
****I am a registered voter in Miami-Dade County and I am calling to find out when the Senator is going to return his "blue slip" to the White House so Judge William Thomas' nomination to the federal bench can move forward.
****I'm calling to let the Senator know that I'm very upset that he has not returned his "blue slip" to the White House so that President Obama's nomination of Judge William Thomas to become a Federal Judge can move forward. All reviews have been completed...what is the Senator waiting for?
PLEASE READ BELOW FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION & PHONE NUMBERS.
Judge William Thomas has been nominated by President Barack Obama to become a Federal District Court Judge in the Southern District of Florida. President Obama nominated Judge Thomas in November of 2012. Judge Thomas' nomination has been pending for over six months and Judge Thomas is still awaiting a confirmation hearing. This is unacceptable and we need to urge both Senator Nelson and Senator Rubio to move forward with Judge Thomas' nomination without further delay.
Senator Nelson has publicly stated that he fully supports Judge Thomas's nomination yet he has failed to return his "blue slip," the form required before Judge Thomas's nomination can go forward. When asked why he has yet to return his blue slip, Senator Nelson responded that he was waiting for the Senate Judiciary Committee to complete Judge Thomas' background investigation. However, in a recent article, it was revealed that Senator Leahy, the ranking Democratic leader of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has completed his review of Judge Thomas' background and fully briefed Senator Nelson. Yet, Senator Nelson has failed to act. Normally, the home state senator will return his blue slip after being briefed by his party's ranking member on the Senate Judiciary Committee. For reasons that are unknown to us, Senator Nelson has chosen not to follow this long established tradition when it comes to Judge Thomas' nomination.
Senator Rubio has offered no rational reason for his delay. Please note that a return of the blue slip by the home state Senator(s) does not mean that the senator supports the nomination. It merely allows the nomination to proceed for consideration before the full Senate Judiciary Committee. We are simply asking that the process move forward and that Judge Thomas's nomination be treated the same as others who have preceded him.
Please take a few moments out of your busy schedule and call Senator Nelson's and Senator Rubio's office to encourage them to act NOW. We are asking everyone to call during the week of July 22, 2013. Please don't simply read this email. We need you to call. We understand everyone is busy but a call to Senator's Nelson and Senator Rubio will only take a few minutes of your time.
Senator Nelson's Washington DC number is 202-224-5274
Senator Nelson's Miami regional office number is 305-536-5999
Senator Nelson can be emailed by hitting the following link:
Willowstine Lawson - Sen. Nelson's Regional Director is 954-693-4851
Senator Rubio's number is 202-224-3041
Few Brief Facts About Judge William Thomas
* The American Bar Association completed a thorough background investigation of Judge Thomas' intellect, judicial demeanor and judicial temperament and concluded Judge Thomas was majority well qualified to serve as a Federal District Court Judge.
* Judge Thomas has been a Circuit Court Judge in Miami-Dade County for almost nine years. He was first elected in 2005 and re-elected without opposition in 2011.
* Judge Thomas has presided over cases in the Juvenile, Criminal, and Civil Divisions of the Circuit Court.
* Judge Thomas has presided over death cases, murder cases, complex medical malpractice cases, complex business litigation cases and cases involving eminent domain.
* Judge Thomas has consistently achieved over an 87% approval rating in the Dade County Bar Association Judicial Poll.
* In his almost nine years on the bench, Judge Thomas has tried almost 350 jury trials to verdict.
* Prior to being elected to the bench, Judge Thomas worked as an Assistant Federal Public Defender for the Southern District of Florida for seven years.
* Judge Thomas also worked as an Assistant Miami Dade Public Defender
* Judge Thomas also taught in the University of Miami Litigation Skills Program
* Judge Thomas was born and raised in the housing projects in south western Pennsylvania.
* Judge Thomas was the ninth of ten children raised by a single mother on welfare.
* Judge Thomas was the first person in his family to graduate from college.
Let's communicate to Senator Nelson and Senator Rubio that now is the time to move forward with Judge Thomas' nomination and that we won't tolerate any further delay.
We are also petitioning President Barack Obama to exonerate Marcus Garvey:
Thank you for your support..