August 2, 2006

"Anna and the Hurricane"

Here is the last story (at least for now) inspired by Mad Bull’s & Pan in 60’s challenge. In some ways these short-shorts were harder and easier to write than most forms of writing. The short-shorts are similar to short stories with a beginning, middle, and end, but they have the compactness of poetry. Unlike free verse, however, which can be infinite, these short-shorts with their limitation of 60 words are similar to sonnets. And as Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force: “A man’s gotta know his limitations.”


“Anna and the Hurricane”

After the hurricane, Anna and I were waiting in line at the store to buy ice and water.
As soon as the door opened, a woman rammed through the crowd with a shopping cart and entered the store ahead of everyone.
“If you can’t love the crazy people,” Anna said, “you can’t love yourself.”
We formed the line again.
***

Tags:











2 comments:

Stephen A. Bess said...

This was a nice shorty! Thanks for breaking it down. I also read the link to your poem, "Dancehall." I could see the rhythms as I was reading it. I love the language. It took me back to last evening when I was reading your short story in Iron Balloons. Love the story! I can't wait to check out your collection of short stories when it arrives in the mail.

Peace my friend~

Stephen

Geoffrey Philp said...

Dear Stephen,
Glad you liked the story and I hope you will enjoy Uncle Obadiah and the Alien.