October 23, 2013

The Writing Life: Erica Kenick


Why did you take Literary Journalism?

I was under the impression that this course was a journalism course in which we would be able to report creatively/in a more "literary" way on news events. It turned out to be a Journalism course with a focus on literary events! That's what I get for not reading the full online course description, I guess. I'm really enjoying the class though.


What have you learned so far?

Literary Journalism is a very broad field. We aren't just writing book reviews and author interviews- we're encouraged to think creatively. For example, a Literary Journalism piece could focus on anything from the evolution of the pen to a diary entry. This course also gives me an excuse to get out of my comfort zone a bit and take part in community Literary events. I've been to Books & Books more often than usual to scope out authors for class assignments and I'm looking forward to interviewing or live blogging when the Miami Bookfair rolls around.

Is blogging in your future?

I have blogged in the past on my experiences practicing Buddhism and meditation (when I first gained interest in those subjects), but found it tedious to post as frequently as I wanted to  - not good for my Zen! I would like to start a blog in the future, but my interests are so varied that I'm having a hard time honing in on one subject. 


About  Erica Kenick

Erica Kenick is a recent graduate of the University of Florida and is pursuing an MFA in Poetry at Florida International University. When she's not dutifully reading or writing, she enjoys spending time with her parrot, swimming, and stargazing at the Weintraub Observatory.

No comments: