July 14, 2011

Petition Update: Marcus Garvey Exoneration



Even as I write this, the online petition for the exoneration of the Hon Marcus Mosiah Garvey now has 1071 signatures. The goal is to reach 5,000 signatures by June 2012, Caribbean-American Heritage Month, and I hope to present the petition to President Barack Obama.

The growth of the petition would not have been possible without the livication of readers who have blogged, shared, tweeted, and emailed the link to friends and acquaintances in their network. And for this, I give thanks.

As Marcus Garvey showed us in his life and work, if we have a goal, then nothing can stop us. If only we would wake up to our power instead of giving it away or selling it for a pittance.

With that in mind, I have sought the guidance/wiseman of Jabulani Tafari (among others), and I will be meeting with Julius Garvey, son of Marcus Garvey, at the Rootz Extravaganza on Saturday, August 20, 2011. 

As a lead-up to the event, I will be appearing the Conduit Show with Sheron Hamilton-Pearson on Sunday, July 17, 2011 between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. to discuss among other topics, the online petition to exonerate Marcus Garvey.

In the meantime, if you have any ideas about I/we can be more effective/successful, please let me know in the Comments section.

One Heart

No comments: