Jamaica Ex-Police Association of South Florida, Inc., Annual Scholarships Announcement
The officers and members of the Jamaica Ex-Police Association of South Florida, Inc. (JEPA), in their effort to assist students in our South Florida Community and in Jamaica wish to provide two one-time scholarships.
The Association’s USA Scholarship will be awarded to a college student who resides in Miami-Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach Counties. The second scholarship will be awarded to a high school student in Jamaica.
The USA Scholarship will be awarded at JEPA’s annual fundraising ball on Saturday, April 16, 2011, at the St. Mary Armenian Banquet Hall, 4050 NW 100 Avenue, Cooper City, Florida. The Jamaican Scholarship will be awarded on Tuesday, May 31, 2011, after JEPA’s Police Station Renovation Project at the Castle Police Station in Portland, Jamaica.
Criteria for USA Scholarship are:
1. Applicant should be a legal resident in Broward, Miami-Dade or Palm Beach County, Florida.
2. Applicant must provide proof of residency in one of the listed counties.
3. Applicant must be currently registered as a student in a 2-4 year college, or has been accepted as such.
4. Applicant MUST submit a two-page essay (81/2 x 11), typed in 12-inch fonts and double-spaced. In the essay, the applicant should articulate convincingly why he/she should be awarded the scholarship.
5. The financial need and scholastic aptitude of the applicants will be considered in the selection process.
6. Applications must be submitted to The Jamaica Ex-Police Association, P.O. Box 8605, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33310, by March 31, 2011.
7. Applications must also be submitted electronically to: email@example.com; & firstname.lastname@example.org; by March 31, 2011.
8. Application packets MUST include the entrant’s full name, address, telephone number, and email address if available.
9. Students of Jamaican parentage are strongly encouraged to apply.
Criteria for the Jamaican Scholarship are:
- Applicants MUST be a high school student or MUST have been accepted in a Jamaican high school.
- The scholarship is a one-time cash award and should be used only for school necessities such as uniforms, books, etc.
- The financial need and scholastic aptitude of the applicants will be considered in the selection process.
- Applicant may submit application stating the reason why he or she should be selected base on the criteria to email@example.com or contact the Police Divisional HQ for the parish in focus. (for 2011 the parish of Portland was selected)
- The principal (or designee) of the recipient’s school will administer the funds in association with The Jamaica Ex-Police Association of South Florida, Inc. via the Community Relations Division of the Jamaica Constabulary Force.
- The Community Relations Division of the JCF from Portland will select the recipient.
- For the life of the scholarship, the recipient must attend school regularly, and maintain satisfactory academic performance and conduct.
For further information contact: Malachi Smith, MSCJ, PR Director JEPA: (305) 302-5365; firstname.lastname@example.org.