August 2, 2008

It Could Happen to You: Blogger Deletion

Blogger DeletionWho would have thought that Google would have reached out to a quiet corner of the Internet and threaten deletion? And yet, it happened to me.


The Arte y Pico Award was supposed to be a going away on vacation post, but when I got up on Friday morning to check the blog, I saw this notice:


623 Posts, last published on Jul 31, 2008

This blog has been locked due to possible Blogger Terms of Service violations. You may not publish new posts until your blog is reviewed and unlocked.

This blog will be deleted within 20 days unless you request a review.

Request Unlock Review


Of course, I was shocked and began asking myself: What did I do to incur the wrath of the mighty Google?

Was it because I supported my gay brothers and sisters by announcing the publication of Our Caribbean or by writing a story that has a gay protagonist?


Was it because I don’t use an “authorized” Blogger template?


Was it because of my rare political stances or its because I now associate with blogs such as Afro Spear or Electronic Village?


Who knows?


All of the fears of my Black immigrant heart were awakened. What was next Homeland Security? Google rifling through my Gmail account? La Migra?

As is the nature of the Internet, one of my blogger colleagues, Dave Lucas, stepped into the fray with this post: Around The Blogosphere 02 August 08

Thanks for your support, Dave!

And then, this morning I checked my blog, all was well.

It was as if nothing had happened. No apologies, no text message, no e-mail. Nada. Not even cab fare.

All I know is that I’ve backed up my blog and hope that when I come back from my vacation (they may delete me forever after this post), it will still be here.

1Love,

Geoffrey



***

9 comments:

FSJL said...

It could be because their automated software flagged something as suspicious (because it looked like a spam site). It happened to me once because I post unpunctuated, uncapitalised poetry. Once I appealed, it was fixed.

Reflections Magazine editor said...

Oh my...it has never occurred to me that my blog could be deleted. Gone forever...wiped out...smashed. I will need to investigate ways to protect myself. Sorry you had to suffer this inconvenience and hope that whatever it was... never returns.

Anonymous said...

Geoffrey, I think you may have somehow got caught up in this:

http://www.nysun.com/national/anti-obama-bloggers-say-they-were-silenced/83179/

Jdid said...

reminds me of that old ice t album from the late 80s "freedom of speech just watch what you say"

i hope all is well by the time you come back. kind of scary

Professor Zero said...

Whew - glad it came back. I've been worried about that and have mine half backed up. Better finish.

Stephen A. Bess said...

Wow! That would've tripped me out too. Do your thing, Geoffrey...come what may. Then again, I know you will anyway. Peace~

Geoffrey Philp said...

Dear Fsjl, Fearless, Dave, Jdid,Professor Zero & Stephen,

Just back for a brief day or two and then, back on the road.

It was frightening and I am sure I will blog about it.


Thanks for the comments and the support.

1Love,
Geoffrey

gautami tripathy said...

It happened to me once! So frustrating!

Geoffrey Philp said...

It definitely makes you think!

give thanks for the visit and comment.